Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Restaurant Specialty: The Pear-Ginger Martini

Take a look: Only a few days on the World-Wide Web and I’ve already got my first two comments, one for each post. Thank you for your input, gentlemen. I’m sorry I didn’t reply right away, but I was on my way out the door when I saw them.

Well, obviously a celebration was in order, so I took my girlfriend, the Champagne Vixen, out for a fine dinner at the Mermaid Inn down on 2nd Avenue, and a very tasty dinner it was. However, I must say that the pre-meal libation left a little to be desired. The Vixen had a glass of Pinot Blanc (very tasty) while your Warrior ordered from the drinks menu. My pear-ginger martini arrived looking cool & delicious but lacking somewhat in the flavor department. Described as being made with Grey Goose La Poire, some kind of cognac, & ginger beer, if I recall correctly, I could definitely get the pear, but barely a hint of the ginger. There was a touch of the flavor, but absolutely none of the heat. I’m a big ginger fan, so I was quite disappointed and switched to wine soon afterwards (I tried to steal the Vixen’s, but she’s too smart for me; she doesn’t like pears, so I was safe from any scheming on her part).

So I had the cod and she had the skate. As always at the Inn, it was delicious, and our celebration was a worthy one.

No comments: