Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Pegu Club Cocktail

Here’s a quick suggestion for a really refreshing cocktail to cool you off. It’s called a “Pegu Club” cocktail, or just a Pegu, and it’s very simple:

1.5 ounces gin
1/2 ounce Cointreau
3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
1 dash Angostura bitters
1 dash orange bitters


Shake like hell in a cocktail shaker to really meld the juice with the booze and get it ice cold, then strain it into a martini glass (notice it’s not called a “Pegu Martini” or a “Pegini” or any other such nonsense just because it’s in a martini glass. More on that pet peeve another day). Garnish it with lime wheel.

Interestingly, it tastes like a really nice grapefruit juice cocktail, though much smoother and not bitter. I’m not sure why; it must be the gin. Anyway, it’s very tasty and a great way to cool off if you feel like something a little unusual instead of a beer or gin & tonic. I haven’t had a chance to investigate how it varies with different types of gin. I guess I’ll just have to suck it up and do a little research this week. Heh-heh...

2 comments:

Doug Winship said...

Hi there. It's always good to see another mention of my favorite cocktail. I blog about Pegus (and related topics) at The Pegu Blog My favorite recipe is slightly different, but then it seems EVERYONE'S recipe for the Pegu is slightly different!
Anyway, the gin you use makes a HUGE difference in this cocktail. I would suggest Bombay Sapphire or Van Gogh. I also have a post up about using Tanqueray's Rangpur. It's not my favorite, but it's worth the investment in a hip flask sized bottle to see if it fits your taste.
I'll be reviewing other gins myself in coming weeks, and I'll link and follow your blog to see what you come up with!

Cheers!

Cocktail Warrior said...

Hi Doug.

Wow, a blog devoted to one drink; that's a true fan. Good stuff.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the link, too. When I've gotten more technically savvy I'll add yours to mine, too.

(Love your recipe cards.)